In case you missed it, last month I started a new monthly feature lazily titled "Shit I Love This Month". It's just a way of me sharing some of the cool new foodie-related things I discover each month that you might *also* find cool. None of these people pay me. It would be nice if they did.
Here's the shit I loved in May!
- Bread & Butter Pinot Noir 2014: Honestly I don't care enough about wine to be so particular about which year is better than any other year; it just so happens that this has been the year on all the bottles I drank in May. This stuff was BOGO at Publix (which is the BEST way to discover new wines, by the way) so I gave it a shot and I absolutely loved it. It's light and juicy with a nice berry flavour and a smooth finish. Currently my favourite red wine, and *perfect* for Game of Thrones nights.
- Pandora's "Chill Out" radio channel: it's been kind of hectic around here recently, so I've been using some quiet grooves to help my mind calm down in the evening as I'm enjoying my nightly glass. I flipped this one on by accident and simply love it.
- Fromager d'Affinois: I accidentally stumbled onto this cheese at my bi-weekly trip to Dorn's Liquors, my new favourite wine-and-cheese haunt and I honestly don't know whether to curse or celebrate that day, because this shit is delicious and also has a 60% fat content.
Honestly though the first time I had this cheese I had to sit down on my couch and really take a few moments to think if it was, in actual fact, better than some sex I've had. People say that all the time -- "It's better than sex!" -- but I don't know if y'all are just having a whole lot of boring sex or if you're just exaggerating. Either way when that rich, oozy deliciousness hit my tongue the phrase popped into my head and I had to really...sit...and think...
Guys, yes. It's that good.
(Some! I said some sex I've had! Not all, calm down.)
It's very similar to a double-creme Brie, except richer and more flavorful with an almost buttery texture. It goes well with everything, PLUS it isn't crazy expensive. FIND IT!!! If your local cheesemonger doesn't have it they can probably order it for you; if not, snag it here.
- Soju: My latest flavour of the week introduced me to this Korean liquor a couple of weeks ago and I've been oddly hooked ever since. It's somewhat similar to vodka in that it's virtually flavourless, with a texture somewhere between sake and vodka, and it's really nice to sip on ice. Be careful though, as one internet person described it as so:
"Soldiers in Korea would describe it as being a drink you can drink while sitting down and not feel a thing, but once you stand up, you will be done. I forgot who my wife was after a bachelor party with soju."
- Genova Yellowfin Tuna in Olive Oil: It's no secret that I'm a big salad eater and recently I've moved away from chicken and beef in favour of more fish, and while I know you're not supposed to eat tuna more than twice a week blah blah blah I love this shit.
It's the least expensive of all the "tuna in olive oil" brands and to me also the yummiest. Even better, it's wild caught on the line so it's safe and sustainable as well. Tuna tinned in olive oil tends to have more omega-3's and has a vastly superior texture to that watery soggy mess that is standard tuna mush. Go get you some.
- Heirloom Tomatoes: YYAAAAASSSSS summer is here and that means tomato season is BACK! Tomatoes are one of my favourite foods but I'm picky about getting flavourful, good quality ones. Those mushy pale red things in Walmart just make me super sad. But now, the heirlooms are back in all their red, orange, yellow, green, and purple glory. Spots! Stripes! Bumps! They're beautiful. *insert heart-eyed emoji here*